Friday 12 May 2017

A mans best friend

Today was one of the hardest days of my life, I made the decision to take Amber, our family dog to the vet, and not bring her home.  This is a decision we knew would have to be made at some point in the near future as Amber's health had been detraining in the last few months, but today, when she could no longer stand up by herself and her feet were bleeding I phoned the vets to ask them to see her. My parents, Amber's Wicked Step Mum & Dad are on Holiday, and unfortunately Amber couldn't have survived until they got home.

 
 
 
Amber came into our lives when she was 18 months old, I remember the excitement of going to Dogs Trust and looking at all of the little dogs, in cages and wanting to take them all. Seeing Amber with her too big for her head ears and happy face I knew she was the one for us.
The first time we met Amber she was exactly the same as she spent her whole life being, gentle, soft and needy! She loved nothing more than being stroked and cuddled and would flop down on the floor at any sign of attention.


She immediately fitted in with our family. Taking part in massive walks/runs and adventures with my Dad and the whole family, now 14 years later its hard to imagine life without her.
When we brought home a puppy (Sascha) she accepted her, making sure Sascha knew who was boss and only growling and showing her teeth occasionally.
She really was our top dog.




Later when Lily was born Amber was, as she is with everyone gentle and protective, she put up with being 'looked after' by Lily and she is the reason Lily has such a love of dogs.



 
"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had"
 
 
My heart is breaking tonight, but I am forever grateful for the fun times and content that Amber lived a long and happy life.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Small Shops of the week

 My Small shops of the week this week are the brilliant @YumSugarAndSpice and @Jellys_Jewels. Completely different businesses who ...